Use of Small Dimensional Metrology Instruments
The unit is one of a suite of units in the Level 2 award in Dimensional Metrology.
Successful completion of this and the Fundamentals of Dimensional Metrology will result in the Level 2 Award or can be accredited as a stand-alone unit.
The objective of the course is to provide the trainee with the skills needed to use a range of small items of measuring instruments for linear and angular measurement.
There are no prior requirements for this course.
- Label and describe the functions of standard instruments. (i.e. micrometer, calliper, height gauge, DTI and bevel protractor)
- Describe how standard instruments can be adapted for special applications
- Explain the causes of errors when using small dimensional metrology instruments
- Select the most appropriate tool for measurement
- Prepare instruments for measurement
- Build a gauge block stack
- Read a scale and express standard conventions
- Calculate the sine of an angle