Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
This unit can form part of the Level 2 Award in Dimensional Metrology or can be accredited as a stand-alone unit.
The objective of the course is to provide the trainee with a basic understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing including interpretation and application.
A prior understanding of basic engineering drawings would be advantageous.
A related course is Geometric Tolerancing with CMM’s.
This course is comprised of the following elements…
- Introduction to Basic Geometric Tolerance Symbols
- Interpretation of Toleranced and Datum Features
- Applications of symbols and concepts covered include:
Parallelism, Cylindricity, Perpendicularity, Symmetry, Angularity,
Position, Runout, Total Run Out, Straightness, Flatness, Roundness,
Profile of a Line and/or Surface
- Practical exercises involving drawing interpretation and the application of
- Geometric Tolerancing symbols.
- Interpretation and calculation of Maximum Material Condition
- Explanation of projected tolerance zone.